Not having to deal with the complications of cellular greatly enhanced our speed to market and our ability to scale.
OptiRTC, Inc. is revolutionizing the field of stormwater management with its Particle-powered Continuous Monitoring and Adaptive Control (CMAC) system. This “smart” drainage system proactively monitors weather forecasts and actuates drainage valves to minimize flooding and environmentally hazardous run-off. And with Particle, they’ve found a more stable, scalable, and robust IoT platform to support their mission of public safety and sustainability.
Setting & goals
- The frequency and severity of catastrophic flooding is on the rise.
- Hurricane Harvey dumped 24-34 trillion gallons of water, and resulted in over $200 billion in damage; making it the wettest and most costly hurricane on record in the U.S.
- Stormwater runoff is the leading cause of water pollution in the U.S.
- Over 860 billion gallons of sewage and other pollutants flowing into our water supplies each year
- Clean Water Act of 1972 dictates that municipalities must demonstrate continual improvement in their stormwater management infrastructure
- Replaced 70-90 devices implemented in the field that were using legacy hardware
- Went from square one to full-scale production in less than a year with Particle
- Particle offered superior speed and responsiveness than legacy solution
- Now deployed at over 130 sites across 21 states
- Preemptively drained 70 acre-feet of water from retention pond in Ormond Beach, FL ahead of Hurricane Irma to successfully prevent flooding
- Prevented 2.7 million gallons of stormwater from entering New York City sewer system over a 6-month period
Opti’s CMAC system is saving its adopters untold sums in money, property, and environmental damage. By reducing flooding and runoff, and facilitating regulatory compliance, Opti is saving the environment and local budgets in one fell swoop. By working with Particle, Opti gained unparalleled flexibility and ease of implementation.
Particle is a scalable, reliable and secure Internet of Things device platform that enables businesses to quickly and easily build, connect and manage their IoT solutions. Particle launched on Kickstarter in 2013 with the vision of making the Internet of Things easy and accessible. Particle's tools are now used by 70,000 engineers in more than 170 countries and are being used by many Fortune 500 companies to develop and manage fleets of new IoT products.
Founded in 2007, OptiRTC is an Internet of Things technology company focused on monitoring and control of stormwater infrastructure. By uniquely combining sensor data, weather forecasts, and proprietary algorithms to optimize stormwater infrastructure through active, cloud-based control, Opti’s systems lower the cost and risk of managing stormwater.