At Particle, we see IoT as more than just a business opportunity. We see it as a way to make positive societal impact.
And that belief isn’t founded on “Some days” and “What ifs”. It’s founded on the wealth of real-world IoT applications that are already bringing a brighter future into full view. Over the years, we’ve seen the Particle platform used in innumerable ways that are improving our world one connection at a time.
That’s why we’re proud to announce Particle for Good, a program to provide qualified organizations with resources and other benefits to help bring impactful IoT to life. With this program, we hope to enable innovators to use Particle to promote equality, protect our environment, empower underserved communities, support the arts, and more.
The benefits of the program include discounts on hardware and platform costs, co-marketing opportunities, and access to the Particle for Good community.
Many organizations have already begun making a positive social impact with Particle:
- Envirofit has improved the lives of over 7.5 million people living in extreme poverty by introducing smarter, safer, and more affordable cookstoves that minimize toxic emissions. Particle technology is actively being used to monitor and quantify the environmental and health benefits of Envirofit’s products.
- Opti is building the “Internet of Stormwater” to help protect our water resources. In the US alone, we discharge over 900 billion gallons of raw sewage into natural bodies of water each year due to sewer overflows. Opti’s Particle-powered solution automatically controls when and how fast stormwater flows, preventing flooding and pollution. To date, Opti’s solution has been deployed in more than 130 commercial and public projects across 21 states.
- dev/Mission aims to train untapped young adults for careers in technology to build wealth and prosperity in local communities. dev/Mission is using Particle in IoT curriculum to empower the next generation of IoT developers, in addition to connecting young adults with mentorship & internship opportunities in tech.
A few specific areas that we believe IoT can make a significant impact include:
- Environmental Preservation: Protecting natural assets and promoting responsible use of resources
- Developing Regions: Creating opportunity and improving quality of life in emerging economies
- STEM Education: Empowering a diverse range of students to learn technical skills for today’s digital economy
- Social Justice: Promoting equal economic, political, and social rights for everyone
Particle for Good is intended for organizations that have a documented purpose of social good or charity that aligns with our objectives and focus areas. Specifically, this includes nonprofit organizations, B-corporations, or public benefit corporations.
The power of IoT to shape a better future is already on full display, and we are excited to help bring about its fruition.
For more information, please visit particle.io/nonprofits. If you are working on an IoT initiative with a positive social impact, please sign up here to receive the latest news on Particle for Good as it becomes available.