Using Particle to Power Better Business DecisionsConsult an expert
The IoT spindle project provides the big data needed to make the right decisions for maximizing our operation.
Service Thread — a leading American manufacturer of commercial thread and yarn — sought to optimize their operations by collecting and analyzing detailed utilization metrics on some of their machinery. To help make that happen, our development partners at Logical Advantage used the Photon and the Particle platform to implement a custom-built IoT solution. As a result, Service Thread was able to dramatically reduce operating expenses, and make better-informed business decisions.
Setting & goals
- Service Thread wanted a way to know the operational state of each individual spindle (operating position) on an industrial thread and yarn spinning machine
- A single spinning machine can have upwards of 75 spindles
- The Service Thread factory houses over 3,000 spindles spread across 115,000 ft2 of floor space and 24 different machine types
- Current means of utilization analysis consisted of manual inspection 4 times per day
- Service Thread cut 500+ man-hours per year by replacing manual inspection with real-time monitoring
- Discovered that manual inspection utilization analyses were off by 15%
- That discovery informed a major capital planning decision which resulted in Service Thread purchasing a new piece of cutting-edge machinery
- Estimates after pilot program indicate 50% reduction in per-spindle operating costs
- Estimated annual savings of $117,000 in reduced maintenance overtime and overhead costs
In a recent survey from Aruba Networks, 62% of businesses in the industrial sector reported already using some form of IoT technology in their operations. Large as that percentage may be, all signs point to it rising considerably in the near future. That can be attributed to the fact that innumerable IoT applications, much like that of Service Thread, have already proven themselves invaluable to businesses large and small.
Particle is a scalable, reliable, and secure Internet of Things device platform that enables businesses to quickly and easily build, connect and manage their IoT solutions. As the most widely used IoT platform, Particle's tools are used by over 150,000 engineers in more than 170 countries, and by 8,500 companies. From device to connectivity to the cloud, Particle provides everything you need to develop and manage fleets of new IoT products.
About Service Thread
Service Thread is a global leader in the design and development of industrial thread and engineered yarn. Their mission is to solve product and processing problems and add value through longer running times or faster processing speeds. Their customers manufacture thermoplastic and rubber hoses, FIBC and multiwall bags, slings, tie-downs, tarps and wire and cable products using thread or yarn for reinforcement or sewing applications.